Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Where have I been?

First off, why have I not blogged since November? Well, there are many reasons and the simple answer is- life.  I have been to events, but very little period cooking has taken place, but in a field or at home.  Here is a run-down of most of what I have done since November-


Historic Weapons School
Every four years I get certified to handle, inspect, and shoot 19th Century black powder weapons, it is one of the perks of my job. We got through two days of training, learning how to clean, assemble, and fire historic weapons. The final day of class we get to live fire our weapons in order to better interpret the firing of such weapons to the public (blanks are shot during demonstrations). This year I brought the site's M1842 .69cal smooth-bore and shot a dead bulls-eye! 

Right off the range- I was surprised that I even hit the target! 

Battle of Black River
This event was set to remember the Battle of Averasboro. I only went on Sunday,mostly walked around and spoke with friends.  The event is hosted at the historic Oak Grove Plantation. 
Daddy & daughter cross the bridge to the Federal Camp. 

North Carolina Day- Yorktown
In April, members of NC Historic Sites were honored to participate in North Carolina Day as part of the Yorktown Museum of the American Revolution grand opening. It was great day, full of visitors, interpretation, and an amazing museum! This was the first time I debuted my full "petty sutler" set up for 18th Century, the response was overwhelming! There will be a bit more about this (and other similar setups) on the blog soon! 
Selling produce, liquor, and other goods to soldiers! 

War For Empire- Ft. Dobbs
Later in April, I participated in Ft. Dobbs largest program "War for Empire" Ft. Dobbs is a French & Indian era fort. The fort itself is currently being reconstructed! 
Acquiring sutler licences. 

Selling some goodsd

Members of the garrison drill. 
Garrison laundresses. 
1860's Civilian Celebration
The first weekend of May brought the long anticipated 1860's Civilian Celebration! This conference is hosted by the staff of the Homefront Herald, of which I am a part of. The conference was wonderful! We were hosted at the wonderful Capon Springs & Farms, nestled in the mountains of West Virginia. 
Saturday outfit! Old faithful dress made it out again! 

Group tintype by John Milleker

DH won this tiara in the door prize drawing and decided to give it to me in front of everyone.
But at least he had on a spiffy jacket! 


Fight for the Backcountry- Alamance Battleground

This is the second year I have attended this event at Alamance. I was only there for Sunday though. It is always a nice site to visit! This year, our daughter joined us and thoroughly enjoyed herself! 
P had enough fun for the day! 

Family portrait! 
One of the greatest images taken of our daughter! 
 

So, there it is, months of un-blogged activity. I promise there will be more recipes up soon! I am planning one this week. There are a few events lined up on my schedule- British Occupation of Halifax this weekend as well as Cause & Country in September. 

1 comment: